Friday, April 10, 2009

I Want A Telepathic Typewriter

Did you ever watch the movie "The Tommyknockers" based on the Stephen King novel? I remember devoting an afternoon to watching this mini-series. Probably curled up on my couch in some comfy clothes I wouldn't wear out of the house (well--except to quickly go check the mail or take the garbage out). And of course I was covered up in an afghan. Even if it was summer--I had an afghan. Its my security blanket. So--I turn the fan on , if necessary, and cover up with my afghan.

So--there I was all settled in for an afternoon of mindless entertainment. Only, at the end of the movie I felt very jipped----I wasted my time on THAT mess???? I was not happy with the ending. I was not happy about how the first part of the movie slowly introduced the characters and the plot, only to seemingly run out of time and have to hurriedly explain everything, and be over in the allotted time. I did not like the explanation. I just did not like that movie.

But, this isn't about that movie. This is about something I thought I remembered about the movie. A part where the female main character is a writer who develops a supernatural power. She is able to lie in bed and think about what she wants to write, and her typewriter types it all out for her at that same time she is thinking it.

Would that not be cool? Cause, for some reason I do my best "writing" at night. During the day my thoughts are random and scattered. Anyone can tell you that if you ask me what time it is, I'm gonna tell you how to build that clock! And so.....to make a short story long........ That's me! (I think you are seeing that already!)

Anyway--at night, lying in bed, I seem to have my thoughts all collected and I compose eloquent letters and other writings. I can prove my point very clearly. Or--maybe, since it's at night, and I'm in bed, I'm just DREAMING that I am doing so well!

So--I'm trying to decide what to write about for my second day as a blogger. My mind is everywhere and I think of that part of The Tommyknockers movie. I decide to do a google search and see if my memory is correct on that part of the movie.

Instead I got sidetracked ---No big surprise. And I just wanted to share with you what I found out about Tommy Knockers. Never heard of this before in my life!

First off --the definition of a Tommy Knocker: Tommy Knockers are the spirits of departed miners that help miners find ore. It also states that the Tommy Knockers can be very spiteful creatures if they don't like you, so some miners would leave a bit of their lunch for the spirits.

But- here is what I really thought was interesting--the origins of the Tommy Knockers Folklore--- the Tommy Knockers were first heard of when the Cornish people (from Cornwall, England --Celtic people) came to America to work in the mines. Seems the Tommyknockers are the equivalents of Irish Leprechauns. But--here is the really interesting part----
The Cornish believed these wee little men were the souls of the Jews who crucified Christ and were sent by the Romans to work as slaves in the tin mines. This belief was so strong that the Tommyknockers were allegedly never heard on Saturdays, nor at times of Jewish festivals.

You just never know what you will find when you start googling! I had contemplated writing about Easter and memories of my dad. Who would have thought that the Tommy Knockers would take me around to mentioning the Crucifixion of Christ!

I still never found out if that telepathic typewriter deal was a part of the movie!

5 comments:

  1. HAHA! I love it...life is so circular isn't it. Start out writing about a fictional horror story and end up telling about the greatest (AND TRUE) story on earth. God has a way of making His presence known despite us doesn't He? Great writing! Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes--and had I not been so random and just throwing out what was in my head at the moment, I might have brought up the Jewish mining leprauchan spririt story briefly and then actually turned it into a post about the GREATEST & True story on earth!(with the Great part being that He Arose from the Dead and is Alive today!) Poo-missed an opportunity. Maybe this will come with time???

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would settle for a key board that would write what you spoke. That way I could get in all my 25,000 words for the day without talking my poor husband's ear off! lol! If I were Colleen I would probably google it and find out that they already exist (if you are willing to spend am arm and a leg for one) ;-) Thank goodness God can hear our thoughts! Can you imagine having to write him a letter? :-p

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you-----I took it when we went to Aruba in November.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to stop by and leave a comment!