Friday, April 24, 2009

THE JOYS OF BEING A GRANDMAMMA







When I was a young mom, I was particular about how I dressed my daughter. She wasn’t a real prissy girl, so I didn’t get carried away with lots of frills and bows & lace, except maybe at Easter and Christmas. But, I always liked her to look cute and coordinated. And of course, she had to look presentable when we went out in public.
*
Maybe its just because Cam is a boy-----or maybe because I'm a grandmamma now. Or maybe both. But, I just got the biggest kick out of how I let him go out of the house the other day.
*
It started like this. I had come home from work and we shared an ice cream sandwich snack.
Then, with ice cream on his face, and a wet diaper, we headed to his bedroom to remedy these things. In the middle of his diaper change, he decided he needed his Elmo slippers on, since they just happened to be at the end of his changing table.
*
Ok--why not? So, I put the big ole fuzzy red slippers on his feet with Elmo smiling up at me. But then I couldn’t get his shorts on over the slippers. That's ok--we weren’t going anywhere. He didn’t need his shorts on.
*
So--I put him down on the floor and he decides we need to take his diaper outside to the garbage can, instead of in his diaper pail. He really just likes any excuse to go outside. But, of course I'm thinking he just loves being a helper. So--off we go to the garbage can in the back yard, Elmo feet shuffling along, being grandmamma's big helper
.*
Well, once we got in the back yard, he could hear our neighbors, across the street, playing basketball. He immediately grabs up his Thomas the Tank Engine ball and heads to the gate. Pointing across the street and looking at me with those eyes just begging me to take him across the street to play with the big boys.
*
Ok--here he is -----at the gate. Chocolate face, no pants, big red house slippers that have eyes and a nose on them. I am not wearing shoes. But he's reaaallly wanting to go across the street and play ball. He is not going to understand having to go inside, wash his face, ditch the Elmo slippers, and then put on pants and shoes. He doesn’t even have a clue what he looks like. He just wants to play ball!
*
Well- we do live in a little cul-de-sac. Not much traffic. These are our neighbors.What was it going to hurt? Really? So-----off we went across the street to play ball. But, not before I dashed inside to grab my camera off the counter!

1 comment:

  1. You know you are a blogger, when you remember to grab the camera!!! Thanks for sharing such a sweet little fella with all of us. Too cute!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to stop by and leave a comment!