Tuesday, May 12, 2009

WELL ACCORDING TO MY CALENDAR, CHRISTMAS IS JUST AROUND THE CORNER

Yesterday I came into the office, looked at my nice big calendar, and thought, "Wow! Monday the 18th. This month is flying by way too fast!! Next week is payday (I get paid the last day of every month) and it seems like we just got paid! I studied the calendar, thinking about how time just slips by so quickly.

Wow, again--- I sure am behind in tearing off the dates on my little appointment calendar! So--I sat there and tore off the pages till I found the one that said, "MONDAY , MAY 18". Ok-all set to start the day. The day of Monday the 18th.

Oh--don't worry about correcting me--I have since found out that yesterday was not the 18th of May. But, I did go for quite a bit of time yesterday thinking that way, until a customer told me that he had a birthday coming up. On the 18th.
I asked him, "The 18th of what?"
"May", he says.
"Well--that is today!" Poor guy, doesn't even know it's his birthday!!
"No its not--today is the 11th. Wake up Colleen"

So I say, " I sure am glad you said something! I was already planning on going to my Dr's appt tomorrow" (which is written real big, in red, on my calendar on the 19th).

Usually at the end of each day, I use a marker and put a slash through that day on my calendar. But, I had not done that at all this month. So, I make sure, right then,that I put a mark through all the dates up to Sunday March 10th. And, yesterday before I left, I put my handy little slash through Monday the 11th of May.

So--when I walked into the office on Tuesday the 12th, I would clearly see that it was indeed Tuesday the 12th. There is NO Dr. appt note written as a reminder on the block of my calendar marked Tuesday the 12th. Of course not. Because my appt is for Tuesday the 19th.

What to know what happened next? I get up this morning, thinking about going to my Dr. appt this morning. I walk in the door and a co-worker says, " I thought you had a Dr. appt this morning. Why are you here?" I guess I must have mentioned yesterday that I had an appt, before I realized my error. So--what did I say, "Yes, I do have an appt. I don't have to leave until 9:30am though".

I sit down and start doing my work. Trying to get as much done as I can before I leave for my 10:00am appt. I am seeing a new Dr. and I was asked to be there early to fill out paperwork.

So, this morning at 9:40am, I head out for my appt, just a smidge later than I wanted to, but I couldn't help it. I had been in the middle of a sales call.

I get to the Dr.'s office and am a little irritated that some man is hogging the sign in sheet while digging around in his wallet for his picture ID and insurance card. I have to put the time that I sign in, and he is keeping me from signing in! I want it documented that I did show up early!

Finally when I think I am going to get to sign in, the nurse calls a man up to the window. Seems he was there for an appointment and his appt wasn't even till this afternoon. Poor guy. Came all the way over here this morning for nothing. Has to leave and come back later.

I finally get to sign in, and I hand the nurse my driver's license and insurance information, and then stand there waiting for the clipboard full of papers with every kind of question about me and my family. The nurse starts keying in information and then looks up at me and says, "Do you have an appointment with Dr. Jones?" That is when I realize that YES I DO have an appointment. It's just not THIS week. Oh my gosh!

So, I very sweetly & innocently said, "Yes. I have an appointment. Is this not the correct time?" She does a little more checking to find out what I really already know. My appointment is not till next week. "Well" I tell her, "you did ask me to be here early to fill out paperwork."

UGH! I am wondering how I still had it in my head that I had a Dr appointment today, even after I figured out that I was not looking at the calendar correctly. I had it in my mind, and I just stayed on course. No matter what BOTH of my calendars were TRYING to show me.

Thank goodness I will be seeing my Doctor next week. If I remember to go and if I remember where his office is located! I may need to discuss dementia with him!

Happy Hump Day! And don't forget to start working on your Christmas list!!

2 comments:

  1. I believe it was proven a few (ahem!!) years ago that you were mental...or was it insane????

    Hee hee!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, yes! quite right! thanks for bringing that to my attention. That would be mental.

    Someone with the initials BJBR was insane. You know who that might be?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to stop by and leave a comment!