Friday, June 12, 2009

I WONDER WHERE YOU ARE. I WONDER WHAT YOU DO.

Yesterday afternoon, while in traffic , I glanced over at the person in the truck next to me. I knew that I didn't know him, but he reminded me of someone. Out of the blue, just by looking at this guy I don't know, I am transported back to oh, maybe 1985. This guy in the truck next to me looks like someone who went on a trip to Israel with me.

I didn't know him before the trip. He was a young soldier on the military base in Germany , which was my home, while my dad was stationed there. Dang--I cant think of his name. His mother was visiting him from the States and she went on the trip with us. What did we call her? Mama Cortez? No--No--it was Cordona or maybe Cardona? Cordova? His name was Eddie, I think.

So, now, just because I glanced over at the guy in the truck, I am thinking the people who are part of my past, that I dont even remember well. Its not like we were best friends or anything, but you'd think I'd remember his name. I think about many other people I have known through the years. I have been steady moving around since I was born. There is a girl that I went to kindergarten with , who I think may have also lived right down the street from me. I moved away,though and finished kindergarten in another state. For a couple of months, in third grade, I went back to that school where I started kindergarten. We were awaiting housing to be able to move with my dad who had gone ahead to his next military assignment. As I walked down the hall of the school my first day, that girl from kindergarten recognized me! When she recognized me, I remembered her. I remember this story, but I don't remember the girl, again!

I now live back in that same town. She may still live here. I could be next to her in the grocery store, I could sit near her in church, I could be next to her in traffic, but I don't think I'd remember her. How many other people have I forgotten? There are faces I remember, but I don't know a name to put with them. There are names that come to mind, but I don't remember where I knew those people. Which school? Which town? Which state? Or country, even. Why do I remember their names? Were we good friends or just classmates?

I remember some events, and can picture the people, but don't remember names. And, with some people, I remember names and faces and have memories to attach to them. There are many people I think about and would love to get in touch with. And, with the help of the Internet, I have searched for them. I have been able to reconnect with some friends through wonderful Internet tools such as Classmates.com or Facebook.

Years ago I didn't realize the importance of documenting things through photographs. I wish I thought to take a lot more pictures of people and events through the years. A couple of friends from back in my school days, whom I have recently reconnected with, have actually e-mailed me pictures of myself, that I didn't even know existed! Isn't that funny to think about? Are there other pictures out there of me that I don't know about? Who has them? Do they remember me or are they trying to figure out who in the world is in those pictures!

Do you search Facebook, Myspace, Classmates or do a google search to find friends from years gone by? Do you live in the same town you have always lived in and see people you have known your whole life?

I have been in many airports through the years, and I often wonder if I am walking by someone that I used to know. Someone I played on the playground with, or shared secrets with. Someone I had a crush on. The boy I pushed into the row of stacked chairs in 3rd grade while at the pencil sharpener? Why? I don't know. Or, if I am in a tourist spot filled with people, I wonder the same thing. Is there someone I know, but don't recognize anymore? An I walking right by an old friend?

I'm not the kind of person to just speak to a stranger. I don't make a habit out of speaking to people next to me in line somewhere, or sitting next to me in a waiting room, or on an airplane, or any other situation. Some of my family members can tell fun stories of connecting with someone they know by just starting a conversation with a stranger. Or realize that they are talking to someone who has family or friends in common. And I wonder how many times I may have reconnected with someone, if I had taken the opportunity to talk to someone.

Some people I want to reconnect with,because we were friends who shared some fun times. Some were close friends, but others, maybe we just shared a small moment in time together. Like Eddie and his mother and our trip to the Holy Land. Or like Philipe Koskas, the young Jewish man serving in the Israeli army that Eddie and I met one evening on Ben Yehuda street. Or Ehab Sabbara who was a Palestinian Catholic working at Casa Nova where we stayed while in Israel. Funny that I would remember their names and not so many others. Even more intriguing a thought is, do they even have the slightest memory of me. I doubt it. But, I wonder, as many people as I wonder about and try from time to time to contact, is there anyone who remembers me? Remembers my face, but not my name. Remembers my name, but cant put a face with the name. Wonders who that girl was and what she's doing now.

I don't know-----but, I think, just for fun, I'm gonna go google Eddie. Or look for him on Facebook.

1 comment:

  1. Okay - now I am singing Lionel Richie... so thanks for that reference in your title!! HAHA! I understand completely...I am just so glad we remember each other and have reconnected...now, if we could just find Eddie McShea from 4th grade...hee hee hee!!

    Love ya girl!
    Bev

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to stop by and leave a comment!