Monday, June 15, 2009

Thank You Facebook

I just really enjoy Facebook. When I first set up my FB account, my daughter thought it was funny. She sent me one of those "pieces of flair" as I think they are called. If you are on FB, then you know what I'm talking about. If you are not on FB, then--what are you waiting for? Everyone's doing it! Well, except for one particular friend who is purposely holding out, so as not to just be part of the crowd, or a follower. Anyway--my piece of flair said, "Grandma's on Facebook." Too funny! But, although FB was set up as a college network type thing (so I've heard) it really has caught on with (ahem) older people.



What I really like about it, is that I can communicate with several different people all at one time. I can pop in and see what work friends, church friends, Beachbody message board friends, friends from school days, and family members are doing, all at one time. In fact, some of these different people, that don't even know each other, can all comment on something I have said, and in a way, also converse with each other about this topic of "conversation".



For someone like myself who moved 9 times between kindergarten and 12th grade, and went to 8 different schools during that time frame, it is really kind of nice to be able to reconnect with and communicate with everyone this way. Its fun seeing friends from all the different aspects and times in my life, as well as my family all in one spot. And its kind of fun seeing each of these different groups of friends all being able to comment on something I have said, even though they don't know each other. At one time, in one conversation, I might have comments from a friend from when I was in Hawaii in 5th grade and from a friend I went to school Jr High school with in Oklahoma. A friend from High School in Germany may have an opinion on the subject, as well as a college friend , a friend I have met on the BB message boards, a church friend or a relative. I can "talk" to all of these people at one time and it is just really nice.



FB has been a nice way to kind of gather all my friends from over the years together. I have always felt a little fragmented. A piece of me here. A piece of myself there. A little out of touch and left out. Left out of the lives of the people i have left behind with each move. Left out of seeing how their lives changed and how they continued to develop friendships with each other, and created more memories to share. I will never get to experience all of that. But, I feel very fortunate enough to be able to, in some little way, be a part of their lives now. So, my daughter may think its funny that "Grandma is on Facebook". But, that's OK. Cause Grandma is enjoying reconnecting with and catching up on the lives of all the wonderful people she has had the privilege of knowing. Thank you Facebook!

2 comments:

  1. I am glad you are there too, and I am sorry I went to bed too early last night and missed ya. Hopefully I will "see" you tonight...I will be up later than normal, it is a good tv night!!!:-)

    Signed: Your 5th grade partner in crime!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Especially enjoyed this one-- sounds like you're doing all kinds of interesting writing these days...and all kinds of writing about writing, conversing about conversing, etc...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to stop by and leave a comment!