Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Way Too Many Words To Be A Wordless Wednesday!

I received an e-mail the other day from my nephew, who is a member of the National Council of Teachers of English (NTCE). Sounds pretty impressive, huh? He's smart. I wish I had a list handy of the various and numerous achievements he's earned over the years, including several degrees. I have yet to make it to one of his graduations, but I think he is in the process of pursuing another degree right now, just so I can finally attend one.

This particular e-mail from him the other day was also sent to other family members and came with an intriguing proposition. A proposition to come together and do some writings to be submitted to the National Gallery of Writing as part of the NTCE's National Day of Writing event. http://www.ncte.org:80/action/dayonwriting Seems they want "every day folk" to submit writings to show the many ways we use writing in our daily life and the many different types and styles of writing being used in the 21st century. This is a fun and exciting idea to me, as I am just starting to really think more about writing these days.

When I was younger (much younger--lets go back to elementary school through high school), I did a lot of letter writing. My family moved a lot and letter writing was a fun and important way for me to stay in touch with the friends I had to leave behind. I used to save all my letters. Through the years I did get rid of a lot of letters, while trying to keep a few important ones to represent each friend. As an adult, I actually received a fun little letter from my above mentioned nephew, which he wrote when he was younger. It told all about his adventures moving with his family to a new state.

As a young teenager, I was very excited when I got my own desk for my room. A place to keep my collection of nicely decorated , crisp stationary sheets and envelopes. I didn't always sit at the desk to actually write the letters. Sometimes I wrote while sitting on my bed, with my knees propped up, and using a school book as my desk. I did however, use my desk for writing school papers. I loved writing papers for school. Sometimes I did wait till the last minute to actually write, but that is a character flaw. But I did always follow all the techniques I learned in class on how to write a success full essay or report.

Its been many years since I had to think about using those techniques. And I don't even think I could write anything worthy of turning in for a grade. It's been many years since my college literature classes where I studied many different writing styles and techniques. I wish I could recall all the things I learned and put them to use now!

I don't send out as many handwritten letters these days. Well, they would be non-existant if it weren't for the letters I write to the child that I sponsor through Compassion International. But, I do find myself using e-mail to keep in touch with family and friends both near and far. Some people have occasionally commented on the interesting or funny stories I send in my e-mails. I realized that I was using e-mails as an outlet for my need to write. The need that I had been neglecting for a long time.

That is when I started entertaining the idea of creating my own blog. I thoroughly enjoy reading others blogs. In fact, my first experience with reading a blog was the one that my nephew started to let us know of his adventures while studying in Europe. Lately I have been able to catch up with a friend(http://beverlyhappymoments.blogspot.com/) from my younger days and be a part of her life through her most interesting blog. And to learn more about some people that I don't get to visit with very often. After I actually took the step to start my own blog, I decided it might be nice to have some feedback. I shared my blog with some friends and family and to my surprise, I actually got some very positive comments. Besides being told I was funny and had a good way with words, my favorite compliment was when someone told other people that they really needed to check out my blog.

Ah--but then--there I was. In this new and unusual situation. All of a sudden I felt pressure to produce great works for people to read. I felt pressured to be entertaining and keep people coming back for more. I panicked. And then, I stopped writing.

But, now I am making a new commitment to my blog. I cannot get better at writing if I don't write at all! So-- I will write. Good or bad. Followers or no followers. Even when I don't know what to write about. When I went to the website for the National Day on Writing Event, I found some links to useful information about writing.

I liked this particular tip: we all have trouble getting started once in awhile. Sometimes just spending 15 minutes writing anything and everything (including "I don't know what to write"), loosens up the very ideas needed for the piece.

LET THE RANDOMNESS BEGIN!!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Yes, the only way to write better, is to write often. Most of the time I just have really random and silly posts, but every now and again I find some good stuff eeks its way out in spite of myself. Keep up the writing...you are doing great - I am always entertained.
    Love ya!
    Bev

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to stop by and leave a comment!